Wednesday, July 29, 2009

All this way, It’s work, for what? Where am I now?

I’m thinking the fitness journey is allegorical to being on roads where I’m not sure exactly where they go. To top off not knowing exactly where these roads will take me on my journey I seem to take wrong turns and scenic drives checking out the Chinese food or cupcakes.

Then there is that phantom toll booth. It keeps popping up when I try to get back on the fitness highway. “Today’s toll: One gym workout please”… “Today’s toll: eat your veggies instead of that pizza.” Even when I seem to pay the toll, there is no guarantee how soon that phantom toll booth will pop up again. Moreover, I need to keep my eyes carefully focused on the road. Detour ahead, Feeling sick today. Then just off the fitness highway there it is… a cute 50’s style diner with the all you can eat buffet.

I’ve driven this journey for about four months. Somehow at around 8 ½ pounds lost I seem to have driven for a very long way and been turned around so many times I’m not far from the start. Gee, it’s hot, I don’t feel well, and it would be easier to turn back.

Then there is this bridge ahead. Exploring around here I’ve been on both sides of the bridge a bit. One side there is peace and joy, yet people seem to lounge around a lot and tend to get nothing done. While the other side people are so focused on getting about getting things done they forget to take the time of peace and joy. That’s the thing about bridges, there seems to be two sides, and perhaps there is something important on both sides. What is existence without joy? Yet without dealing with the necessities of existence it’s hard to pursue that pinnacle of purpose of living life most passionately. Fitness is a means to and end, not the end itself... yet without building on it first I don't think it's easy to get to the greater something, that end of the rainbow. If say a house is a goal, tools are needed to build it, and effort.

Enter the 10 easy weight loss tips that naturally take “Little or no effort”, trust me that Phantom toll booth isn’t going to let you pass with no toll. But unless you really want to pay the toll getting back and forth You’ll end up trying short cuts and be lost wandering back roads, ending up stuck with a flat tire in the mud going nowhere fast. I’ve got to get along with life, but not so fast that somehow I miss it in the process.

Then again, is the trip with careful driving even going to lead you where you want to go? Sometimes I would like to have one of those computer map things, Admittedly the Bible is that in a big picture sense but I’d like a general life GPS. Enter destination: Enter the town of “Muse” please, where the slogan is to work, play, and love. I think it’s on both sides of that bridge but I need to find the heart of main street.

I think I’ve figured that I do want to live in the small town with that sweet homemade chocolate pie, but also need to get into the city to do my 9 to 5 work at the gym. The big question is in the end will a small town like “Muse” ultimately accept the kind of resident who covers his yard with 12 Pink Flamingo Lawn Ornaments, 9 Lawn Gnomes, and an old hotrod car on blocks, if he tries to pay the tolls.

(The Phantom Tollbooth is an old children’s classic I’ve been reading that partially inspired me to write this entry… the mouse is a mural I did locally recently… To remind you, cheese can be a comfort food… it great to lean on…..OR IS IT?!)


And Remember that eating blocks of cheese that weight more than you do is the foolsfitness way!- Alan

1 comment:

  1. Your posts are always so deep. I think I would be tired if I allowed my brain to think like that! That must be a workout in itself. How many calories does philosophical thought about weight loss burn? I eat therefore I am fat. Something like that. I want to live in a town where my whole family is healthy and happy.We all live to be 110 surrounded by our 15 children and 60 grandchildren. The problem for me is the road to that town is paved with diet and exercise. To get there I must pay the toll of 127 more lbs, minimum, 137 lbs just to be on the safe side. I will get there--I've got nothing better to do in the meantime then to keep trying. Blessings Alan!--Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Remember that commenting is just the foolsfitness way!